07 May 2012

Movements and Sounds


Right now as I sit inside my favorite Grenoble café, I can sense that I’m waiting for rain. How quickly the waiting becomes longing becomes needing. It has been so sunny and warm that now I am needing a cool, crisp rainstorm to roll through.

I always hear the Church bells where I live now. It's that phenomenon where you're so attuned to a place--so familiar with your neighborhood that you know the subtle shifts in movement and sounds. Every half hour, it sounds like a marriage is happening.

Spring has arrived. and the windows are thrown open. And the mornings--the sounds, the smell of it, the way the light plays on River Isère, it undoes me. truly. makes getting out of bed a bit easier. a bit.

And just when it is getting good, I leave. I have to go home, where I know the sounds of my street. I miss the sounds of my neighborhood kids screaming as they tear down the street on bike and scooters. I miss the sound of my families steps as they walk down the hall in the dark. I miss the sound of my dog panting as he sprals out on the cool, hardwood floor. 

it's time. to move. to live somewhere new. to learn to listen differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Merci mon amie!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...